A problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after a committee of sleep has worked on it” John Steinbeck.
- The Committee of management shall consist of a maximum of eleven elected members who shall be elected for a period of three years and shall be eligible to be re-elected, plus any member co-opted in the year. No member shall serve for longer than nine years.
- A chairman, elected by the Committee, shall serve for a period of five years and shall not be eligible to be re-elected as chairman immediately at the conclusion of that term.
- The members of the Committee shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting.
- Nominations for election shall be made in writing and shall be in the hands of the secretaries two weeks before the date of the meeting.
- The Committee shall have power to co-opt a person who has particular expertise which the Committee considers will be of assistance in the performance of its functions.
Annual General Meetings
- The Committee shall convene an Annual General Meeting each year, if practicable in June. At least three weeks’ notice of the date of the meeting shall be circulated with a copy of the agenda.
- Any feuar may propose a resolution for consideration at the Annual General Meeting by giving notice to the secretaries at least two weeks before the date of the meeting.
- A list of candidates for election as members of the Committee, plus any resolutions, shall be displayed on the notice board in Moray Place Gardens by the secretaries one week before the date of the meeting.
- The Committee shall submit proposals for any major extra-ordinary work to a general meeting.
Extra-ordinary General Meeting
- The Committee may convene an Extra-ordinary General Meeting at any time.
- Any fifty feuars shall be entitled to require the Committee to call an Extra-ordinary General Meeting, only one feuar per separately rated property being eligible. Such requisition shall be made by written notice by them, to include their names, signatures and addresses, and delivered to the secretaries specifying the resolution or resolutions proposed to be put to the meeting.
- On receipt of a notice the Committee shall proceed, as soon as reasonably practicable, to call an Extra-ordinary General Meeting, provided that the Committee shall not be required to call a general meeting to consider any matter which has been considered at the most recent Annual General Meeting or any general meeting subsequent thereto.
- At least three weeks notice of the date of any Extra-ordinary General Meeting shall be circulated with a copy of the agenda.
- The persons entitled to vote at General Meetings shall be feuars or their representatives. Only one vote may be cast in respect of any one separately rated property. Any representative of a feuar shall provide written authority from the feuar whom he represents to the secretaries at the start of the meeting. A simple majority of the votes cast shall be sufficient for the motion to be carried. Voting may be carried out by ballot or by a show of hands as the chairman in his discretion may decide.
Current Committee Members 2021
Frances Dobson, Convenor Aide-de-camp
Paul Broda, Member, Gardens, Subcommittee
Communications and digital – Vacant
Gregor Henderson, Fixtures Convenor
(Arches, Paths, Benches, Railings)
Andrew Dixon, Events Convenor
(Moray Feu- events convenor & Bicentennial Chair)
Ewan Jeffrey, Traffic and Finance Convenor
Ken Dixon, Environment
(Parking, Public Transport, Cycling, Traffic flow, Recycling, waste collection, litter etc.)
Dog Champion – Vacant
Martha Vail Barker has stepped down from the Gardens Management Committee due to personal circumstances. Our previous Chair Fiona Young, who took time out from the committee on health grounds, has agreed to rejoin us as Committee Chair till November 2022 when she will hand over to a new chair.